Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Whimsical Fairytale



As the infamous author of the smashing Harry Potter series says:




"The Little White Horse was my favorite childhood book. I absolutely adored it. It had a cracking plot. It was scary and romantic in parts and had a feisty heroine."  —J. K. Rowling


I wholeheartedly agree! But, there is so much more. The darling protagonist, Miss Maria Merryweather; the culinary genius, Marmaduke Scarlet; The exotic pets, the secret lost pearls, and the princess of Moonacre and the people of Silverydew....this story is genius! It is the perfect fairy tale with a happily ever-after ending.   


I just finished reading The Little White Horse to Hannah this morning. Each morning I found myself anxiously awaiting our time on the sofa so I could enter into the world of Silverdew and go on another adventure in search of answers to secrets and peace on earth. 


Elizabeth Goudge is one of my favorite authors. Often I will proclaim: "She is the most exquisite writer. She has the ability to write a sentence that is so exquisite, that I can read it 10 times and still delight in just that one sentence". Her stories are marvelous. The Little White Horse is particularly for children. My favorite book by her her is Green dolphin Street.


If you are looking for a whimsical fairytale, look no more. Even boys will like this one. Sure, there are pink roses and dainty pastries, but there are wild animals and mean poachers too. 


The newer copies of The Little White Horse have been revised (They dont say it, but they are). See if your library has an old copy. The one I own was published in 1980 by Gregg press and is filled with the wonderful illustrations by C. Walter Hodges that were in the original 1949 version. If you are unable to find these versions, go ahead and get the new paperback version. Eventhough the original writing of Miss goudge has been compromised, it is still a great book.


The UK made it into a movie last year called The Secret of Moonacre. Unfortunately, it is unavailable in the US at this time. I am keeping my fingers crossed because I like the cast.


Watch the movie trailer here and then go get the book and read it!





2 comments:

Mary said...

Now I want this book.

Adrienne said...

I watched the movie on Youtube. It was horrible. They messed it all up. Hannah and I were sorely disappointed. The book is wonderful.